- London Radiology LLP, 9 Harley Street, Marylebone, London, W1G 9AL
Dr Robert Hywel Thomas
MB BS(Lond) BSc(Hons) MRCP FRCR EBIR
Consultant Diagnostic and Interventional Radiologist
Dr Robert Thomas qualified from St Bartholomew's and The Royal London School of Medicine in 2003. He trained as a physician, gaining membership to The Royal College of Physicians in 2007 and developing a particular interest in gastrointestinal (GI) medicine.
Moving into general radiology training at Guy's and St Thomas's NHS Hospital, Dr Thomas became a Fellow of the Royal College of Radiology before embarking on over three years of sub-specialist fellowship training in general interventional radiology (Guy's and St Thomas's Hospital, London), diagnostic oncological radiology (The Royal Marsden Hospital, London) and completing his sub specialist experience with 15 months at The University of Alberta, Canada training in interventional oncology. Dr Thomas gained the European Board of Interventional Radiology (EBIR) in 2013 passing the exam with sub-specialty components of interventional oncology and embolisation.
Dr Thomas is a full time NHS Consultant Diagnostic and Interventional Radiologist at Imperial College NHS Healthcare Trust, London, United Kingdom. He has a busy role, performing and interpreting cross sectional imaging (CT/MRI) as well as ultrasound scans. His general interventional radiology commitments at one of London's busiest trauma centres and regional vascular units include a wide variety of planned/emergency endovascular and percutaneous procedures. Dr Thomas has developed a clinical and research interest in the radiological diagnosis and intervention of cancer in particular within the hepatobiliary (liver/gallbladder/pancreas) and gastrointestinal systems.
Dr Thomas is an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer at Imperial College. His research interests include minimally invasive liver directed therapies for liver tumours (e.g. Selective Internal Radiation Therapy - SIRT [SIRTEX and TheraSphere]) as well as other metastatic cancer trials, in particular for neuroendocrine (NET), colorectal (CRC) and pancreatic tumour sub-types. Some of Dr Thomas's current research projects include recruitment for a NIHR funded non-surgical bariatric trial looking at the effects of selective embolisation of the blood vessels supplying the stomach, the emergency management of pulmonary embolism with clot busting catheters (EKOS) and the treatment of metastatic pancreatic liver disease with a tumour directed vaccinia virus.
As well as Dr Thomas's NHS base at St Mary's and Hammersmith Hospitals (Imperial College NHS Trust) he performs private practice as a partner of London Radiology.
- The London Clinic, 20 Devonshire Place, Marylebone, London, W1G 6BW
- King Edward VII's Hospital, 5-10 Beaumont Street, Marylebone, London, W1G 6AA
- The Lindo Wing, St Mary's Hospital, Praed Street, London, W2 1NY
- Phoenix Hospital Group, 9 Harley Street, Marylebone, London, W1G 9AL
- 102 Sydney Street, London, SW3 6NR
- The Lister Hospital, Chelsea Bridge Road, London SW1W 8RH
- The Princess Grace Hospital, 42-52 Nottingham Place, Marylebone, London W1U 5NY
- London Digestive Health, 41 Welbeck Street, Marylebone, London, W1G 8DU
- The Wellington Hospital, Wellington Place, St John's Wood, London, NW8 9LE