Dr David Burling
Consultant gastrointestinal radiologist, St Mark’s Hospital, LNWH Trust
My career has been dedicated to the prevention of bowel cancer and other abdominal or pelvic disorders. World class training, research and clinical experience have helped me to develop imaging pathways for early and accurate diagnosis, avoiding unnecessary delays in finding or excluding disease.
I am passionate about improving people's understanding of imaging for diagnosis and improving their access to state-of-the art technology. The majority of scans are painless and harmless but their impact can be immediate, expediting rapid treatment or reassuring patients they are healthy.
I enjoy talking directly with patients and their doctors to ensure understanding of why a scan is performed, the relevance of any findings and, where appropriate, specific recommendations on further management.
I work closely with London's leading surgeons and physicians, usually in partnership with your GP, to expertly diagnose, assess, and manage the full range of Gastro-Intestinal conditions including bowel cancer, inflammatory bowel disease' and pelvic floor disorders.
Patient experience and safety are my highest priority and you will be warmly welcomed and well cared for by the entire London Radiology team. We understand how stressful waiting for scans and reports can be, so always endeavour to offer convenient appointment times and rapid reports.
Occasionally patients require several scans, for example those with chronic conditions who require regular monitoring or surveillance. In these circumstances, I am happy to agree 'personalised imaging plans' with patients and their clinical team to ensure reliable and convenient scheduling of scans to minimise their impact on day-to-day living.
- 1993 MBChB University of Leicester
- 1994-1999 Post GMC registration medical training in Leicester, New Zealand and Bath
- 1998 MRCP (UK) Member of the Royal College of Physicians UK 1999-2005 Specialist training in Radiology (Wessex region)
- 2003 FRCR Fellowship of the Royal College of Radiologists
- 2003-2005 Research fellowship at St. Mark's Hospital under supervision of Professor Steve Halligan
- 2005-ongoing Consultant Gastrointestinal Radiologist, St. Mark's Hospital, Harrow and Director of CT Colonography and Lead for colorectal cancer imaging.
- 2007 MD Doctor of Medicine degree awarded with Distinction for thesis entitled 'Reader Performance at CT Colonography' University of Leicester
- Full registration with the General Medical Council
- Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists
- Fellow of the European Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiology
- Member British Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiology
- Member of the British Medical Association
- Member of St. Mark's Association
Dr Burling has over 100 published peer reviewed publications (and numerous scientific presentations) related to imaging of bowel disorders including authorship of articles in the British Medical Journal and Lancet. He is regularly invited to speak at national and international Radiology, Gastroenterology and Surgical conferences.
Dr Burling has trained several hundred Radiology Consultants and Radiographers in CT Colonography and is Co-Director of the National CT Colonography Training and Accreditation Programme (NCTCTAP). He jointly developed and delivered a 'Train the Trainers' course for leading Radiology Consultants from around the UK.